Bolton Wanderers call off friendly as players go on strike

Bolton Wanderers’ first-team squad have gone on strike over unpaid wages and bonuses ahead of the new Championship season.

The Trotters were due to face Scottish side St Mirren in a pre-season friendly this afternoon before the match was called off last night.

In a statement issued to the Bolton News, the squad said their treatment by the club was “totally unacceptable”.

“The football club would like to apologise for any inconvenience this will cause,” it said.

The squad statement said: “Over the past two seasons we as a club have experienced unprecedented success in first achieving promotion to the Championship, then staying in the league last season.

“This was achieved despite extremely difficult circumstances. All players, current and past, who were contracted to the club have contributed to this success.

“Over the course of the two years, on numerous occasions contracted players have not been paid on time. This has culminated in certain players not receiving their June wage.

“On each occasion this has happened we have received no notification or an explanation as to why. We feel this is totally unacceptable after a huge effort from everybody over the last two seasons.

“Regrettably, as a group, this has led to the decision. We unreservedly apologise to any supporters that have made plans to come and watch the game.”

Bolton confirmed the boycott in a statement on the club’s website, which read: “Bolton Wanderers Football Club can confirm that Saturday’s friendly game against St Mirren has been called off.

“The football club would like to apologise for any inconvenience this will cause.”

Bolton have had financial difficulties in recent seasons and swerved a winding up petition in February after paying off their debts to HM Revenue & Customs.

Check out how their supporters reacted to the news on the next page.

Like what the Fan Banter have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!