Alleged racial abuse and theft abandons non league match

Congleton Town’s North West Counties Football League match against Padiham was abandoned at the weekend after an incident of alleged racist abuse and theft.

The referee was forced to stop in the game following an incident involving Padiham goalkeeper in the second half as Congleton were 3-0 up.

As well as that, Padiham say several of their players wallets “were emptied in the changing rooms.

The alleged racial abuse and theft was reported to Cheshire Police.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by West Midlanders Footy Pics ⚽️ (@westmidlandersfootypics) on

Congleton Town wrote on Facebook: “The game today was abandoned by the referee. The club have reported an incident of alleged racial abuse and theft to Cheshire Police.

“The club takes this matter very seriously and is committed to working with the league on this matter.”

Padiham FC stated on Twitter: “Our players were removed from the pitch today due to racial abuse aimed at our goalkeeper and several players’ wallets being emptied in the changing rooms during the game.

“The players & staff of Congleton FC have acted with class & we’ll act together to ensure this is eradicated from our game.”

Cheshire Police said: “Shortly after 17:00 BST on Saturday 6 October, officers were called reports of theft and racial abuse at a football match in Congleton.

“Both are alleged to have taken place during a match between Congleton FC and Padiham FC which took place at the Ritchborough Estates Stadium on Ivy Gardens, Congleton.

“Enquiries in relation to the incidents are ongoing and anyone with any information is asked to contact Cheshire Police.”

A statement on the league’s website said: “The league is investigating the matter and will work with both clubs and relevant authorities.

“We take any matters of this nature extremely seriously, and abuse of any nature will not be tolerated.

“No further statement will be made at this stage while investigations are taking place.”

After hearing what had happened at Congleton, fans and clubs took to Twitter to voice their anger and support to the keeper with many stunned with what they were reading – check out those tweets on the next page.