Connect with us

Non League

A third club faces being expelled from the National League

A third club faces being expelled from the National League after issuing a statement on their current playing and financial situation.

A few days ago, we reported how Dover Athletic and King’s Lynn Town could be handed a points deduction or getting removed from the league.

Dover have said it “will be unable to fulfil further National League fixtures until appropriate funding is made available.”

King’s Lynn chairman Stephen Cleeve says his side would need to take on a loan of £500,000 to finish the season, so left with no choice but to “draw down the shutters” on their National League campaign at the end of the month due to a lack of government grants

Now Wealdstone chairman Rory Fitzgerald claims that the club are waiting to hear back from the National League on their request to delay the ground grading deadline.

www.fanbanter.co.uk – Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies


I wanted to provide an update to fans on the current playing and financial situation given the continued uncertainty and the decision for the National League to continue.

As recently communicated, the club has now gone almost 2 months without any meaningful revenue whilst continuing to incur a full level of operating costs and we have applied to the DCMS for funding however unless this is in the form of a grant the club is facing some extremely difficult decisions to protect our financial viability.

We firmly believe that companies should only take loans either to fund working capital or because the loan is part of a pathway to future profitability. Taking a loan to cover operating costs without the reasonable expectation of future profits to make repayments is not considered an appropriate course of action by the Board, and is arguably reckless.

The club appears to have 3 main options regarding the remainder of the season.

1. Continue the season with the current playing squad, funded by incurring substantial loans which will have a highly damaging impact on the financial position of the club.

2. Explore furloughing the entire first team squad and field a team made up of players available at little or no cost to the club. Under this scenario, we will continue to incur costs relating to training, pitch maintenance, away travel, hosting matches etc. however our overall cost base will be reduced

3. Seek permission from the National League not to fulfil our remaining fixtures on the basis of protecting the future of one of its member clubs. To even consider this we would require clear guidance from the National League as to any consequences of this approach.

We understand that a number of other clubs are contemplating options 2 & 3 however as a proud club and founder member of the National League in its original guise of the Alliance Premier League, options 2 and 3 are hugely unpalatable to us, however unlike option 1, they do not risk the future of the club in its current form. Options 2 and 3 also clearly impact the sporting integrity of non-league footballs top tier, especially if this approach is taken by a number of clubs.

Regrettably we have already had to furloughed a small number of players simply because we cannot continue to maintain a full playing squad with little or no income. The consequence of operating without what we consider to be an appropriate squad size means that the use of rotation to protect our players becomes much harder and puts our players at risk of injury and fatigue.

Decision making in the current environment is incredibly difficult, and at times, feels almost impossible given the lack of clarity and the changing landscape. Having returned to the National League for the first time in 32 years this season, one of our principal aims was to ensure we maintained our status for next season. We are awaiting clarification as to what impact the decision to null and void the National League North and South divisions will have in relation to relegation from the top division.

Also, we unfortunately haven’t heard back from the National League in relation to a request for a delay to the ground grading deadline given the financial landscape and the impact of lockdown on the availability of materials and contractors and therefore we have commenced the required works which will run into many tens of thousands of pounds. At the start of the season the ground capacity was at 3982 awaiting confirmation from the local council. Following the first informal grading inspection by the league our capacity was reduced to 3855. This was because we had to introduce yellow hatched areas where no standing is allowed. This has led us to commission a new covered stand with a capacity of 200. This will raise our ground capacity to over the required 4,000 to remain in the league.

As a club we want to maintain our status as a National League club as well as the integrity of the league and our reputation as a senior non-league club however achieving all of the above is currently totally incompatible with ensuring the club’s financial stability.

We thank our supporters for their incredible continued support and ask you to continue to bear with us as we will continue to review our options. Hopefully we will receive an update from both the National League and the DCMS imminently to help ensure we take the best decisions for the club, our supporters and the league as a whole.


Fans reacted as a third club faces being expelled from the National League…

@BeerBollox: Not getting the ground grading on time would be a very foolish move

@peterwealdstone: Good statement and thanks for all your hard work and dedication. I do disagree with one thing though. Furloughing staff and playing players who will play for next to nothing is not unpalatable to me. If anyone has destroyed the integrity of the league it’s the league itself

@MarkHyde13: An incredibly difficult and frustrating situation for Rory and the Board. Thank you all for the time and effort you must be dedicating to our club.

@curtiz58: Option 2 is the only real option from those choices in my view

@davidreader2: Important thing is to have a club to support in the future. Sad lack of support and guidance from @TheVanaramaNL who seem driven by not upsetting a handful of failed former EFL clubs to the detriment of smaller clubs. Shameful really….UTS

@Jxlllyy: Absolutely disgusting 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬!!!!!!! Expell them from the league!!!

@RachelVillavox: such a great club, made a lasting impression NLS season 18/19 at plainmoor, best away crowd of that season, came in numbers, sang throughout, deserve success. wishing you a brighter future

@LeoWerin: Fair enough, scorched earth policy. Needs must and I have faith in the board to safeguard the club’s immediate and long-term future.

@toffler73: National League Clubs have 3 options. 1. Go bust. 2. Furlough players, play players who are paid nothing and likely lose every game ruining integrity of competition. 3. Get league agreement not to fulfil fixtures. Which seems unlikely. What would you do?

@dleigh_david: Clear message, a “no win” situation. The non league game needs funding to navigate a way through this situation, not loans. That said, if funding is not forthcoming (and there has been plenty of opportunity for the FA and the government to provide this), the season has to end

@Sir_Munk: Difficult times, difficult decisions! The efforts of the board, including the transparency, communication and hard work is much appreciated. Thank you for all you are doing for our club. UTS

@breakspearstone: The most important thing is to still have a club to support / follow once this is all over UTS

@ronnieraffle: in no other sector are you forced to carry on a trade with no income but have to continue to bear full costs, to have to do so is absurd, what a screw up by the NL, they’ve undermined the integrity of the league not the clubs

@oystercardcult: Good luck .. very difficult decisions ahead .

@ONLYONEGIBBO: Brave decisions to be made. Whatever is made by @MrFitzgerald77 and the board it has to be for the long term good of the club. The @TheVanaramaNL have been shambolic through all of this. #UTS

@NickDuGard1: A very challenging situation to say the least with seriously negative impacts on any chosen course. I am sure that we will all support the course of action eventually taken. For what’s it’s worth I would go for option 2 if permissible as presents least overall harm to the club

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Non League

Mothers Day Exotic Fruit Selection Box!

Only £27.97

with voucher code -