Bromley

7 goal thriller, a screamer, a sensational save and Bromley fans taunting Chesterfield

A 7 goal thriller, a screamer, a sensational save and Bromley fans taunting Chesterfield, it was quite the fixture on Saturday.

Michael Cheek completed a hat-trick to secure a big victory for second-placed Bromley over the National League leaders Chesterfield.

The game began with the visitors opening the scoring, a goal from a penalty by Will Grigg on 31 minutes, before Cheek’s scoring ability turned the game around, giving Bromley a 2-1 lead with two close-range finishes on 47 and 63 minutes.

Ollie Banks then levelled the scoreline with a stunning 35-yard rocket for Chesterfield, and then the Spireites were ahead again through Tom Naylor with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Cheek once again found the back of the net to level the score on 86 minutes, and then in added time, Sam Woods got on the end of Alex Kirk’s cross to seal a dramatic win for Bromley.

This only slightly reduces Chesterfield lead at the top to 20 points, but nonetheless, it’s a win that will give the Ravens a boost in belief that they are the ones who are strong enough to get that all important second promotion place.

โ€œIt was a real cliff-hanger right to the end,โ€ Bromley boss Andy Woodman said, per Derbyshire Times.

“I am chuffed that my side gave it everything.โ€

Andy took issue with the decision to award a penalty after Darren Oldaker went down in the box.

He said: “We responded well to adversity. Adversity being the penalty decision. I think that was a tough penalty for us to take.โ€

Woodman went on: “At half-time we licked our wounds, had an honest chat about not feeling sorry for ourselves, but I didnโ€™t think it would finish in the manner it did!

“Itโ€™s a results business and we needed that to remind everyone that we are a good team.

“In the second-half I just said put the ball in the area for Cheeky to get onto it and keep the pressure on them and play in the right areas of the pitch.

“They go and get that wonder goal, that was an unbelievable strike, and then they scored the corner, again that is a bit of adversity, that is not really us. But the lads kept going and I am chuffed to bits.

“It was an amazing save. How the keeper kept that out I do not know. It was a fantastic save. But we didnโ€™t drop our heads and we kept creating chances.

“I felt all three of our subs came on and affected the game, they gave us something different.โ€

Chesterfield assistant manager Danny Webb said: โ€œWe canโ€™t use the pitch as an excuse. We were 3-2 up and without doubt we look back and we shouldโ€™ve held out.

โ€œWe have to put it behind us quickly though and move on to the next game.ย We couldโ€™ve defended better for sure, but thatโ€™s football.

โ€œEveryone loses games once in a while and thatโ€™s that but it doesnโ€™t mean we canโ€™t strive to keep improving. Itโ€™s all about the next game now.

Webb then gave a snippet of team news going into the fixture. โ€œWeโ€™re looking at the lads before the game.

โ€œItโ€™s a quick turnaround but everyone looks okay.ย Weโ€™re hoping James Berry will be able to travel with us so thatโ€™s a positive.

โ€œRyan Colclough and Miguel Freckleton are still out for this game.ย We still have a strong squad and are hoping to bounce straight back.โ€

Finally, Webb spoke on Tuesday’s planned game against Halifax and their threats, saying: โ€œTheyโ€™ve got some good players.

โ€œItโ€™s going to be a real tough game thatโ€™s for sure; theyโ€™re a top side.ย Theyโ€™ll be looking to get into the play-offs so will be well up for it.

โ€œWeโ€™re focusing on ourselves as always though.ย Itโ€™s about us turning up and doing what we can to get three points.

โ€œWeโ€™re approaching the game exactly the same and hoping to get back to winning ways.โ€

That game however has seen been postponed.

Twitter users reacted to seeing a 7 goal thriller, a screamer, a sensational save and Bromley fans taunting Chesterfield…

ON THE SAVE:

@tricks9: Getting better and better as the season goes along that save was world class

@JohnCon2424: World class ๐Ÿ’™

@TomDearlove1: How tf has he saved that. Unbelievable save

@YogiOldfield: Some will still say heโ€™s poor.

@absturner1: Absolutely class save ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

@LilTigz: Super @HarryTyrer in goal ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

@cfcalex03: What a save! ๐Ÿงค @HarryTyrer

@MattHowdle1: World. Class.

@RichardHallam12: What a save ๐Ÿ˜ณ

ON THE SCREAMER:

@TTVWestyGaming_: Oh ollie ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

@AlexBromleyfc: Saw that one live , superb strike ๐Ÿ‘. League 2 next season with that squad and additions . Will certainly be a force in the league . All the best .

@cycleprawn: What a goal @obanks_14 absolute quality mate.

@deansdecs: Shot just like his Dad well done pal

@chadhart110: He loves scoring screamers

@RobboSWA: Banks.. Crossbar.. back of the net. Weโ€™ve seen that before! @obanks_14 #SWA

@TRFC1980: Stop messin Ollie lad ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘

@HopelessHobbit_: Good gollie we love Ollie , WHAT A STIKE

@spireite65: If you arenโ€™t the most technically gifted Spireite I have seen in my time I would like to know who is! Great goal!

@GinaSpireite: Wow what a cracker!!! ๐Ÿ’™

ON THE FANS TAUNTING:

bromleyfchub: Considering Chesterfield all ran over to the away fans when they beat us in the semis last year I donโ€™t see how any of the Chesterfield fans can complain

louie.j.24: Up the brommers โšซ๏ธโšช๏ธ

george.boakes: ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ not one over 14

w_hutton8: Some units

joshua_woody_20: School trip

peakstroller: Yeah. The nursery was closed on Saturday. They don’t bring many to us tho. Even in play off semi last year. Tin pot club

ollie.hoult3: child day care

adriandavis327: Good job 3 stewards were there to hold back the rampaging mob!!! Lmfao

simon_parkin78: Has a chesterfield fan no problem with Bromley fans enjoying there win we had our enjoyment last year in play offs

jeroen02036: School-igans

bevbev234: Not one over 15

bear3563: What is it with these effing kids at non league

jack_nicholsonnn: Probs feel safe behind the high vis

finnieallan: All these wankers moaning theyโ€™re only 14 ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ let them enjoy themselves like we did at that age ,or would you rather see 65 year old fatties,bang on the pub grub trying to look hard ready for a heart attack .

alex.nettleton: Fair fucks to em even if they are all about 14

morton.blake__: mind the gap bromley ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ

agent_smith_72: Lol kids giving it large.. hilarious ๐Ÿคฃ

cbrown132: Not one of them would do a fucking thing

smdphotog: To be fair there was a few old boys giving it some too! Up the Brom!!

ian.tinsley.100: Luckily the three stewards deployed the force field to hold them back, it could have been nasty otherwise.

More in Bromley